Thursday, September 18, 2014

FOTD: Retro in Red

Why am I covering 1/2 of my face? Read on to find out. :p

I like transforming myself. Making myself look good makes me feel good so I always turn to makeup whenever I'm stressed, which happens almost everyday. But aside from school, church and occasional trips to the mall, there is really not that much occasion for me to wear them. I'm such a loser, I know. :))

That did not stop me from playing with makeup though. I always take pictures after every makeup play session - some of them I upload when I feel brave enough to show it - but I save a lot of them in a folder on my phone. Seeing them from time to time makes me feel accomplished on how much I have learned.



Makeup is a never-ending learning experience, just like medicine. In this makeup play I experimented on 2 different eye makeup looks so that I can wash my face off in one go instead of doing it twice. However I only managed to get 1 right, as I still suck in lining my eyes with liquid eyeliner. Precision is really my worst trait when it comes to makeup. Hahaha.
My (One Half) FOTD. :p
Today's FOTD is done in time for Throwback Thursday! Red lips and winged eyeliner always screams vintage don't they? ;)

I did this look because I really wanted to wear a red lipstick that I bought almost 2 months ago, but I haven't found an opportunity to wear it. And I'm still shy wearing a red lipstick to school - when you see my classmates, you will know why: 90-99% of them go to school looking bare faced! A lot of them don't really need makeup, for they have clear, even toned skin. Lucky, lucky them.

I think I'll wear this look to an event I'm attending this weekend. Maybe. Let's pray that I'll get that winged eye right, on BOTH EYES. :))

Left to Right: ELF Flawless Eyeshadow in Beautiful Browns (around 200 PHP) and Sephora Eyeshadow in Sweet Candy.
I used all the shades in the ELF Palette except for the "Lid" shade.  :)


Arm swatches. See if you already have similar colors in your kit.
From L to R: Topmost shade from ELF Palette which is a cream frost shade; Sephora in Sweet Candy which is a cool pink shade; Crease shade from ELF Palette which is a burnt orange/orangey copper shade; and the last shade in the ELF palette which is a cool brown shade.

Face

  1. Prime your skin with a face primer. You can skip this if you don't have oily skin.
  2. Use foundation of your choice. I always prefer semi-matte over powdery matte finishes because I still want to look 3 dimensional. For this one I used a cream type of foundation, which I thinly dotted all over my face. To spread out the pigment I used a stippling brush and did the stippling technique first. Then, I swirled the stippling brush in small circles all over my face to buff the product into the skin.
  3. Set with a setting powder.
  4. Contour jaw line and hollows of cheeks, sides of nose bridge. With an angled blush brush, use a contouring powder/taupe colored powder/bronzer to shade the jawline and the hollows of the cheeks, while use an eyeshadow blending brush to shade the sides of nose bridge.
  5. Blush cheeks with a peach blush. Brush above where you have placed the contour shade.

Eyes

*For easy reference, let's divide the eye first into three: The inner 1/3 is the section closest to the nose bridge, the middle 1/3 is the section opposite the pupil with the sides of the pupil as its boundaries, and then the outer 1/3.

  1. Prime eyelids with eyeshadow primer.
  2. Pat the cream shade on the inner 1/3 of the lid.
  3. Pat the pink shade on the middle 1/3 of the lid. Overlap the 2 shades a bit.
  4. Pat the copper shade on the outer 1/3 of the lid.Overlap this with the pink shade a bit.
  5. Using an eyeshadow brush, blend the areas where the colors meet. So brush between cream and pink, and between copper and pink. DO NOT blend all three colors in one brush stroke.
  6. With a blending brush, swipe the cool brown shade on the crease, following the contours of your orbital bone.
  7. With a pencil brush/eyeshadow applicator, line the cream shade under the inner 1/3 of the lower lashline.
  8. Line the cool pink shade under the middle 1/3 lower lashline.
  9. Line the copper shade under the outer 1/3 of the lower lashline.
  10. Pat a dot of the cream shade on the inner corners of the eye. Use a blending brush for a soft/ diffuse placement of the shade.
  11. Use a brown eyeliner at the roots of the lashes, extending the line at the outer corners. 
  12. Make a thin line from the outer corner of the eye to the middle part of the pupil (so you'll draw the line inwards). This does not need to be perfect.
  13. Smudge the line using a smudge brush/eyeshadow applicator.
  14. Make a thin line on the outer 1/3 of the lower lashline. Smudge the line.
  15. Make a thin line on the upper lid with a liquid eyeliner, making a slight wing at the end.
  16. Curl the upper lashes. Put mascara on the upper and lower lashes. 
A closer look.

Lips


  1. For the lips, well...swipe on your red lipstick! 
  2. To make red lipstick last, what I did was I first used a red lip tint. 
  3. Then I put on the red lipstick, blot with a tissue, and swipe another layer once more. 
  4. Then I put 1 thin sheet of tissue paper over my lip then brush translucent powder on the covered lip.
Whew! And we're done! Hahaha. Seriously this look is easier to do than to describe. I think this will be nice to wear for events and gatherings, and the neutral eye colors used makes this look wearable during daytime! 

Maybe I should just use an eye pencil instead of liquid liner for this weekend, no? Anyway, try it sometime. ;)

Stay girly!

Kat

Products Used:

Face:
  • Rimmel Stay Matte Face Primer
  • Revlon Colorstay Whipped Crème Makeup in Warm Golden
  • Ben Nye Banana Powder
  • Fanny Serrano Eyeshadow in Cinnamon Mousse (used as contour powder)
  • Careline Oil Control Blush in Peach Glow
Eyes:
  • Prestige Primed and Ready Eye Primer
  • ELF Flawless Eyeshadow in Beautiful Browns
  • Sephora Eyeshadow in Sweet Candy
  • Maybelline Color Show Crayon Kohl Eyeliner in Brown
  • The Color Workshop liquid eyeliner in Black
  • Avon SuperCurlacious Mascara in Black
  • Nyx Brow Gel in Brunette
Lips
  • Tony Moly CatChu Wink Tony Tint in Red
  • Avon Ultra Color Absolute Lipstick in Red Velvet











No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your girly findings below! I love receiving comments! :D